Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson; 314 pages

KidnappedI started my fourth-quarter goal of 3,200 pages with a historical-fiction classic.  The theme of this book is that the righteous shall always prevail over the wicked.

This book is about a young boy named David who goes to live with his uncle after the death of his parents. However, his uncle tricks him and sends him to work on as the cabin boy on a ship. David is rescued by the famous outlaw Alan Breck, and together they travel through the wilds of Switzerland, evading the British armies and attempting to regain the estate of Shaws to David, who is its rightful owner.

I’m not quite sure what I think about this novel.  I enjoyed it, but it was not my favorite book of all time; nor was it so terrible that I would spend an entire paragraph critisizing it.  Some of the word choice was a little bit confusing, but there were definitions sprinkled throughout the pages, which made reading it much easier. (Besides, with all of this technology practically at our fingertips, we can just hop onto the Internet and look up words whenever we please.)  However, one thing that I did not like about this novel was its ending.  SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!  At the end of this book, Alan Breck and David go their seperate ways, and though its not a heart-wrenching, tear-causing parting, it is not exactly what you would call a happy ending.  The two friends say good-bye, David expresses his sense of loss at their parting, and the book ends.  I’m not sure wether or not to recommend this book; it is challenging and has many adventurous parts, but the ending is not the best in my opinion.